If you are not aware of SOPA and PIPA you will be tomorrow. They are very dangerous pieces of legislation that are supported by both Democrats AND Republicans. How do you feel about Chinese style internet censorship? WUC is supporting the SOPA Strike!! Our logo will change tonight and then will remain changed until tomorrow evening.
WeUseCoupons is a community, a place where people can post deals and links as they see fit, while abiding by our rules. But imagine if you were not allowed to post a link to Google or Facebook because they GOVERNMENT said you couldn’t. That is what this law is proposing.
- The government could decide that your favorite sites have committed piracy violations and shut them down, WITHOUT TRIAL.
- Curious what a “piracy violation” means? Imagine if it was something as harmless as copying a definition from Wikipedia, or product description from Amazon? Or, posting a video of your child singing a copyrighted song (all current music on the radio is copyrighted, for example).
- What if the government was only trying to end online piracy such as stealing copyrighted movies and music… but the bill they proposed had no chance of actually ending that?
SOPA puts power in the hands of the entertainment industry to censor sites that allegedly “engage in, enable or facilitate” copyright infringement. This language vague enough to encompass sites you use every day, like Twitter and Facebook, making SOPA a serious problem. [source: Lifehacker.com]
On Jan 24th, Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill – PIPA in the Senate and SOPA in the House – to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity. We need internet companies to follow Reddit’s lead and stand up for the web, as we internet users are doing every day. [Oh bother! I copied that paragraph straight from SopaStrike.com. Hope I don't get dinged for piracy!]
So what does it all mean to YOU?
There would be no Facebook, YouTube, MediaFire, SoundCloud, Twitter, DropBox, or any other site that can be targeted as a place where online piracy could take place. Is it even possible to think about what the internet would be like without sites like this? [Source: 1stwebdesigner.com]
You can read the up-to-date reports, including arguments on both sides, on Wikipedia.
What can you do about it? Help us keep the Internet Free!
- Contact your congress representatives! Call or email, and don’t wait!
- Find out what else you can do in your local area.
- You can view the actual bill here.
- Today as Wikipedia, Reddit and others go dark, WE SUPPORT THEM. Join us in this protest by helping to spread the word. Click the PIN IT button below to pin on Pinterest (another site that’s targeted by SOPA/PIPA). Or, use the “share” buttons above this post to share on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
Thanks to GimmeFreebies for help with this post, they are going dark today!